Saturday, April 17, 2010

3. bought an obelisk

Seriously, bought a what? An obelisk. An OBELISK. I finally bought myself one after wanting it for more than 20 years. You gardening buddies out there already know, but for the vegetatively deficient out there, an obelisk is a columnar structure that climbing plants can attach themselves to. I have always salivated over the wooden variety, but when I saw an ad for a black wire version on sale at the local "bargain outlet" for only $12.99, I went for it. That money could have gone to pay a bill, or been added to the kid's college fund, or purchased a gallon of gasoline (well it sure seems like it, doesn't it?), but instead I splurged on myself.

An obelisk, wow. Finally. I know just the spot for it too--plopped over one of those ugly green metal box thingies that have cable wires, or electricity or whatever inside of them. One happens to be in our front yard and I HATE looking at it. I already planted a baby clematis there last fall, with the hopes of coming up with some sort of apparatus for it to climb on by the time it grew big enough to climb. Once the plant is established, it will smother the obelisk most of the growing season with greenery, and hopefully, large gorgeous blooms, and totally hide the metal box. If I was a bit more organized I would even know what color blooms, unfortunately I don't think I kept the tag that tells me which variety of clematis I bought (yeah, you guessed, it was on sale). But that's OK, now it will be a lovely surprise.

$12.99. Hmmm, that actually is a really good price, isn't it? Maybe I should have gotten two . . .


Keeping a grip, Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment