Monday, April 19, 2010

the internet ate our weekend

It was one of those rare weekends when my husband was out of town and I was solo parent. And it was a big event weekend for my son, a 9 year old who loves science. We are lucky enough to live in a major university town and one of the advantages of that is the opportunity to attend events such as this: a full day devoted to hands-on science education for local kids. He and I would be gone for almost 6 hours and leave teen daughter home alone. Now, teen daughter is truly a wonderful girl. Horrible baby (that's a post for another day), but wonderful girl. Mature, responsible, respectful, smart and funny, always a good report from teachers, will be the designated driver among her friends in the future. This is real life however, and I would be remiss if I gave you the impression that the child is perfect. She of course is a female, and a teenager, and has her mood swings, and a bit (or byte? maybe megabyte?) of that teen snippiness that all parents know and love. Still, a pretty great young lady.

So, the boy and I allowed the teen girl sleep in, then went out for the day and teen girl is left with instructions to pursue her usual Saturday chore (she does the family laundry! hates it, complains, but does it). Well, 6 hours later the boy and I return, exhausted and fulfilled, basking in the memory of rockets and robots, dry ice and fossils. We find the girl putting away a load of laundry. The first load of laundry. The other loads are still spread out on the laundry room floor sorted into dark, white, and medium piles, just as they were when we left. And so, what has she been doing for the past 5 or 6 hours? I glance at my computer screen and see the easy evidence--You Tube. 5 hours. You tube. YOU TUBE!!!! For 5 HOURS!!!!!

Now, I understand enjoying one's weekend, taking a break from the routine, hanging out and relaxing. I think I'm a pretty easy going mom about most things, but if there is one thing I despise above all else, it is wasting time. I'm sorry, make that Wasting Time with a capital W (and T) I have spent so much of my life working, working and attending school, working 2 jobs, working 3 jobs, etc, that I have no sympathy for time wasters. Time is simply too precious. Entirely too precious to waste on innanity like 5 hours of You Tube.

Well, you moms out there can imagine my response to teen daughter, I will not go into details. And so, end of story, right?

Sadly, no. Only, the next phase involves the Internet eating my weekend. You see, I have been trying to purchase certain items of apparel (which include a particular type of shoe) that I cannot find in local stores. I do not particularly like to shop and I am very stingy, well, let's say, thrifty with money, particularly when it comes to spending it on myself (see obelisk post). I really do need these shoes however, and I consider them to be ridiculously overpriced, so, hah, I'll show them(!), will get myself a bargain if it is the last thing I'll do. I have spent months now searching and searching and searching and searching for the best possible prices. I even went so far as to buy a pair already, in a different size than the one I really wear, simply because it was a great bargain price. Honestly, what an idiot I am! Not so much of an idiot that I am actually keeping and wearing the pair that is too big (but it really was a great price!), but I could have had a second job and earned enough money to pay for 10 pairs with the amount of time I have invested in the Internet Search For The Best Possible Price.

Fortunately "the search" is now over. The too-big pair is boxed up and awaiting a return to the company (and I am out the extra cost of return shipping), a pair in my size is being sent, and the weekend is over. I spent approximately 5 hours of my precious Sunday on "Shoe Tube". What is it "they" say--like Mother, Like Daughter . . . .

Inserting foot wearing overpriced-shoe in mouth and keeping a grip, Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment